Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire circa 1805. This tall clock is signed on the seat board with a die-stamp. LL153

The case is constructed woods found locally to the Concord, New Hampshire region. The primary wood is cherry and the secondary wood is New England white pine. The line inlays are most likely holly. This case has been appropriately refinished in a pleasing color. It accentuates the grain of the wood which is quite lively for cherry.

This fine example stands up on four feet. They are cut out of the base section and retain excellent height. The cutout design between the feet forms a subtle apron that drops or hangs from the base panels. This section is visually divided from the base by a line inlay pattern that begins at the back of one of the sides and continues across the front panel and ends at the back of the opposite side. This line inlay pattern is used again and forms a frame around the perimeter of the base panel. The waist section is fitted with a line inlaid rectangular shaped waist door. This is trimmed with a molded edge. Through this door one can gain access to the interior of the case and the components that include the original tin can weights and the brass faced pendulum bob. Additional inlay patterns are displayed in the blocks that support the two fluted quarter columns. Each end terminates in brass quarter columns. The bonnet is surmounted with a pierced and open fret work. This is a traditional country New England design. It is supported by three fluted plinths. Each plinth is fitted with a brass ball and spike finial. The molded arch is supported by smoothly turned and fluted bonnet columns. They are free standing and mounted in brass capitals. These flank the arched bonnet line inlaid door which is fitted with glass.

The iron dial is colorfully painted. It was most likely painted by a local artist who is not yet identified. It features paint decorated geometric fans in each of the four spandrels areas. A bird is depicted in the arch. This dial displays large Arabic numeral hour markers, Arabic numeral five minute markers, a subsidiary seconds bit and a day of the month calendar. This dial is fastened directly to the movement with out the use of a false plate.

The movement is constructed in brass and is good quality. It is weight driven or powered and designed to run for an eight-day duration and to strike each hour on a cast iron bell. The bell is mounted above the movement on a stand that is attached to the back plate.

This fine example was made circa 1800 and stands 7 feet 7 inches tall to the top of the center finial. It is inventory number LL-153.

About Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire.

Major Timothy Chandler was born on April 25th, 1762 in Rumford, Maine and died on July 22nd, 1848 in Concord, NH. He is the son of Timothy and Elizabeth (Copp) Chandler and was one of five chldren. It is not known who specifically taught him the art of clockmaking. It is known that he traveled to Pomfret, Connecticut in 1770-1783 to serve an apprenticeship to Jonathan Hale who was a wool card maker. It is speculated that Chandler may have also trained as a clockmaker with Peregrine White who was at work in nearby Woodstock. (Timothy named one of his sons Peregrine White Chandler.) Timothy moved back to Concord in 1791 and advertised tall clocks for sale. He was also appointed Sealer of Weights and Measures in Concord, NH. It is reported that in Novemeber of 1787, Timothy married Sarah Abbott of Concord. This suggests that he must have traveled back and forth to Concord form Pofret before he settled there. Together they had twelve children. In Concord, Timothy became a prolific clockmaker until his retirement in 1829. His ain competition being Levi and Abel Hutchins. Timothy was responsible for training several clockmakers including his sons, Timothy Jay, John Bradley and Abeil. He also trained Deacon Cyrus Eastman of Amherst, NH. Eastman served a seven year apprenticeship which ended about 1814. In 1797, he enlisted with the Minute Men and received the commission of Major in 1799. He also served as vice-president and then the president to the Merrimack Agricultural Society in the early 1800’s. In 1808, he was appointed the Surveyor of Highways in Concord. On the evening of August 17th, 1809, he suffered a fire that originated from his air furnace or forge in his clock manufactory. The manufactory, with all its contents, the house, the barn full of hay and two other hay barns were lost at a value of $5,000. Interestingly, the citizens of Concord raised $1,200 in order to help off set his losses and to rebuild. Chandler would rebuild, and continue his career as a clockmaker. In 1814, when Governor Gilman ordered the creation of local companies to defend the town in the event of attack, Chandler, now in his 50s, again volunteered to serve in the militia. In 1819, he served as Chairman of first “Lancastrian School.” In 1820, he and his son Timothy Jay formed a partnership as T. Chandler & Son. This lasted four years until T. Chandler & Co was formed in 1824 and lasted until 1828. This second company also included Timothy Jay. In 1825, Timothy Chandler was one of the nine officers of the newly formed New Hampshire Mutual Fire Insurance Company, one of New Hampshire’s earliest fire insurance providers. In 1827, he served as chairman of the group that organized the Unitarian Society. In 1829 through 1830 he joined his son Abeil under the firm name of A. Chandler & Co. After 1830, he worked alone and also served as President of Concord’s first Temperance Society, was Vice President of Concord Mechanics Association and One of 17 original trustees of N.H. Savings Bank. In 1834, he named 3 of Concord’s streets.

We have owned numerous examples of his work. These include tall clocks, timepieces, mirror clocks and shelf clocks. A fair number of silver items are also known.

For more information about this clock click  here .