E. Howard Clock Company Model No., 72-14 Regulator. The Cranford Casino Regulator. This is a wonderful opportunity to purchase a clock with its known history. 221034

Applied to the front door just below the dial aperture is a presentation plaque which reads: “Presented to the / CRANFORD CASINO / in remembrance of / Charles Leo Abry, / March 10th, 1898 – by his Wife.”

The town of Cranford was once known as the “Venice of New Jersey.” The town began to blossom in 1861 with the completion of a railway bridge across Newark Bay. This connected the Central Railroad of New Jersey to New York City. By 1871, the adult population was in excess of 600 and the town was incorporated on March 14. The Cranford Casino was originally built in 1892 and then rebuilt in 1896 after it suffered damage in a fire. This structure was built on a bend on the Rahway River. It was a “country club” for the growing recreational community in the town. The growing interest in activities related to the Rahway river made this an ideal location. The clubhouse was described in 1900 as having exceptional facilities and interior decoration, such that “it would be hard to even find its equal.” The rebuilt clubhouse incorporated “the most modern ideas of a clubhouse” having bowling alleys, reading rooms, a billiard and pool room, a reception hall, smoking room, supper room, a ballroom and a club hall.

Charles Abry was a first lieutenant in the Civil War. He went on to be a New York Banker and was the Commodore of the Cranford River Improvement Association. Charles Abry was one of Cranford, NJ most prominent residents. He and died in 1895.

The Model No. 72 came in two cataloged sizes. These were base on the sizes of the dial which included a 12 inch diameter dial and a 14 inch dial. This is the larger version having a 14 inch diameter dial. The weight driven movement is die-stamped by the Maker on the front plate, E. Howard & Co., / Boston. It is designed with a Graham Dead Beat Escapement, maintaining power, double suspension spring mounting and a Geneva Stop winding mechanism. The brass movement is designed to run eight days on a full wind and is powered by the original cast iron weight which is cast with the numeral 1. This runs behind a guide board incorporated in the design of he case. It is not visible. The pendulum rod is made of seasoned cherry and retains its original silver paint. The heavy bob is nickel plated and features a fancy damascened design or pattern on the front surface. The enameled zinc dial measures approximately 14 inches in diameter and is original to this clock. It features the Maker’s name and working location as well as a true seconds register.

The black walnut case is nicely decorated with various carvings and has been recently refinished. The construction of this case is designed to compensate for expansion and contraction as a result changes of humidity and temperature. As a result, when these large regulator clocks are set up properly, they vary only seconds a month. This examples measures 5 feet 5 inches long.

The existing E. Howard Company records are not complete. They do give one a good idea of the production numbers for a particular time period. These list 152 Model 72 clocks as being made. Fifty-six of these were ordered with 14 inch diameter dials. Only twelve were ordered with Black Walnut cases.

221034

About Edward Howard of Boston, Massachusetts.

The E. Howard Clock Company has an outstanding reputation for making high quality weight driven wall timepieces, standing regulators, public clocks and electro-mechanical master and watchman clocks.

The E. Howard & Company succeeded the Howard & Davis firm in 1857. The Howard and Davis firm was comprised of Edward Howard and David P. Davis and was established in 1842. Both men served their apprenticeship with Aaron Willard Jr of Boston. This firm was involved in watch and clock manufacturing since 1842. This firm also made high grade clocks, precision balances, sewing machines and fire engines. After the dissolution of Howard and Davis, Edward Howard went on to become Boston’s leading manufacture of weight driven clocks. This included residential clocks, commercial clocks and tower clocks. They also sold a large number of watchman and salve clock systems. These sold well in the late 1800’s.

It has been said that the E. Howard Clock company never made an inexpensive clock and that everything they made was of very good quality. As a result, Howard clocks have become very collectible and are prized by their owners. Today, the E. Howard clock name enjoys outstanding name recognition.

For a more in depth reading of E. Howard and his various businesses, please read “Willard’s Patent Time Pieces” written by Paul Foley.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .