John W. Scott of New Lisbon, Ohio. A fine regulator clock. 226090.
This regulator was constructed to maintain highly accurate time and was most likely employed as John Scott’s personal shop regulator. It served to time the clocks and watches that Scott manufactured, as well as those brought in for repair or service. The clock represented the business’s most valued asset. Consequently, Scott prominently displayed his name on the front of the dial and housed the mechanism in an ornate case. Given the clock's exceptional quality and the central location of Scott's business, it is reasonable to infer that this regulator functioned as the local time standard. The community relied on it for accurate timekeeping. Customers, pedestrians, and travelers on the local railroad would have synchronized their watches with this clock. Following the introduction of the rail line, Cadiz developed into a significant hub for both passengers and freight.
The movement is excellent quality and was constructed to a very high standard. The design of this clock incorporated a number of features that compensated and/or prevented a variety of errors that can be introduced in a mechanical clock. The plates are brass and thickly cast. Scott die-stamped the front plate on the upper edge with his initials “JWS” and the number “1548.” The number may actually be the date of manufacture. This would indicate that this clock was finished on January 5th, 1848. This date fits neatly with Scott’s working dates while located in the town of New Lisbon. The plates are nicely finished and are supported by four tapered posts. These are mounted with large screws through the back plate and pinned through the front in a traditional fashion. These tapered posts are turned smooth and incorporate ring-turned shoulders for support. The gearing is light and skillfully made. The teeth are deeply cut with high precision. The pinions are mounted in bronze bushings. These are capped with steel plates. Each of these is shaped like a small keyhole and secured with a single screw. These prevent dust from entering this area and contaminating the oil. It takes very little weight to drive this clock. It runs on approximately two pounds. The going barrel is fitted with retaining power. This puts forward tension on the gear train while the clock is being wound. A standard tall-case clock movement does not incorporate this feature and actually runs backward when wound. This results in a loss of valuable seconds each week. The escapement is constructed in a deadbeat format. This is a George Graham invention that prevented the clock's train from being pushed backward slightly with each swing of the pendulum. (George Graham was an ingenious clockmaker from London in the early to mid 1700s.) Graham's escapement caused the train to stop dead with each tick. The pendulum is constructed in a gridiron format. Changes in room temperature will affect the length of a steel rod. As a steel rod warms up, it actually lengthens. As it cools, it naturally contracts. John Harrison, another early English clockmaker, invented this gridiron format, in which nine rods of brass and steel are arranged in an alternating pattern and interconnected. Traditionally, brass rods are designed to expand upward. This internally compensated for the downward expansion of the steel rods. Thus, the overall length of the rod is kept constant. This gridiron pendulum format is very effective in compensating for temperature. In addition, it is very impressive when viewed in motion. The large lead bob is covered in brass. The motion of this pendulum is designed to be minimized due to the natural arc or curve that occurs when it is moving side to side. By minimizing the swing, you have minimized the arc. All of these details are designed into this movement in the pursuit of precision.
It is interesting to note that this movement shares many construction details with at least three regulator clocks made by Charles Strieby (1788-1872). This relationship is yet to be resolved. I would argue that this clock was made by John Scott because the front plate is die-stamped with his initials. This is the practice of many other clockmakers of the period. To the best of my knowledge, the Strieby examples are signed only on the dial. Perhaps Strieby purchased the movements for his regulators from Scott?
This wonderful case is veneered in figured mahogany. The graining is excellent, exhibiting a wide selection of crotch veneer. The case stands on four turned feet applied to the bottom of the base section. A large rounded molding is capped with a ripple pattern that transitions the eye to the base section. Here, a broadly formed cross-banded pattern frames an inset panel. This panel is nicely figured with a fluid grain pattern. The transition to the waist begins with additional ripple molding. Both waist moldings are deep and well-formed. The waist section of the clock is wonderfully shaped in the form of a harp or perhaps a stylized drop of water. Here, canted corners flank the conforming waist door. This door is fitted with glass, which currently retains its original glass. This panel has unfortunately been cracked. This horizontal crack is located in the area where one views the pendulum bob. The glass can be easily replaced if one wishes. Through the waist door, one can observe the motion of the pendulum and the deception of the brass-covered weight. As the case transitions to the hood or bonnet, an additional ripple molding is incorporated into the case design. The hood terminates in a flat cornice. This is visually supported by the applied columns that flank the hood.
A circular brass bezel is fitted with glass. Behind it is the engraved brass dial, covered with a silver wash. This dial is signed “John W. Scott.” “New Lisbon” is also located here. The circular dial displays the hours and minutes from the center arbor. This dial also displays the seconds and calendar date on subsidiary dials located inside the time ring. All four blued steel hands are skillfully made. Visually, this dial is very well balanced.
This fine clock was made circa 1848 and stands 6 feet 11 inches tall.
Inventory number 226090.
John W. Scott was born in England. His father, James Scott, came from Yorkshire, England, first settling in Toronto before moving on to New York City and ultimately Cadiz, Ohio.
It is written in The Counties of Harrison and Carroll, Ohio, containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, and of Many of the Early Settled Families. Illustrated. Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. - 1891. In 1816, James Scott of Sowerby Bridge, England, John's father, with his three children, came to America. They first immigrated to York, now Toronto, Canada, before moving to New York City. It is recorded that in 1819, he walked from New York City to Cadiz, Ohio, carrying his young daughter the entire way. In Cadiz, James established a watch and clock shop, becoming the first in Harrison County to do so. Here, he also engaged in clock and watch work until his death. James married a second time. His wife was Harriet Arnold. They had four children. At least one tall case clock is known with a dial signed Cadiz.
John W. Scott was also born in England. He was one of three children born to James and his first wife, Miss Howarth. She died before the family traveled to America. John W's first career was as a deputy Sheriff. After suffering an injury on the job, he took up his father's occupation. He opened a repair shop where the county buildings now stand. In 1839, John married Jane Pittis of Harrison County. They had nine children. John practiced dentistry for several years and earned the title of Doctor. He also served the town as its postmaster. John earned a reputation as an exemplary citizen and nobleman. John died on October 8, 1886, and is resting in the Cadiz Cemetery in a vault erected by his family.
It is logical to assume that John W. was trained by his father in the watch and clockmaking trades. After John’s death, James continued his Father’s business. It appears that he moved to New Lisbon, now Lisbon, sometime around 1840. He is recorded here for a period of time, appearing in local histories as a horologist and even as a tanner until 1885. John takes on his son, and the business becomes J. W. Scott & Son, Jewelers. This business returns to Cadiz and is located at Northeast Market Street. An advertisement for this business reads, “DEALERS IN ALL FIRST CLASS AMERICAN & SWISS WATCHES, CLOCKS, JEWELRY, SOLID SILVER & PLATED KNIVES, FORKS, SPOONS & HOLLOW WARE AND ALL OTHER GOODS IN THEIR LINE., ALSO MANUFACTURERS, ENGRAVERS AND REPAIRERS – FINE WATCHES – A SPECIALITY.”