Samuel Mulliken II was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts the son of John Mulliken and Susanna Huse (1735-1820) on April 9th,1765. He is a member of a very important family of American Clockmakers. It is thought that he was trained by his distant cousin Jonathan Mulliken (1746-1782) of Newburyport. Jonathan died in 1782. Samuel married Jonathan’s widow, Susannah (Pearson) Mulliken a year later in 1783. Samuel’s Newburyport clockshop was located on State Street. Here he developed business ties with the Willards from Roxbury agreeing to sell Simon’s Patented Clock Jacks. In 1789, Samuel move from Newburyport to Lynn, Massachusetts and then the following year to Salem, Massachusetts. In Salem, Samuel advertises himself as a merchant. In 1796 he moves back to Lynn and becomes the towns postmaster in 1803. Samuel dies in Lynn in 1847. Examples of brass and white dial shelf clocks are known. One brass dial version is currently in the Peabody Essex Museum Collection in Salem Massachusetts. A similar example to the Peabody Essex clock is pictured in “The Old Clock Book” written by N. Hudson Moore. It is pictured between page 142 and 143 in Black and white. It is figure no. 85. In 1911 it was owned by Mrs. H. P. Brownell of Providence, Rhode Island. It is reported that she owned approximately 50 antique clocks at this time. This is one she admired and it received special attention.