William Crawford was born in Rutland, Massachusetts on October 23, 1745. It is reported that he moved to Oakham in 1750 at the age of five. His father Alexander, was one of the founders of this town. William Crawford was a soldier of the Revolution at the rank of Captain. He married Mary Henderson in 1773 and fathered 11 children. He lived the rest of his life in Oakham and died on June 30, 1833. He was 87 years old. His house is still standing today. Reportedly, with the “Clock room” still intact.
Oakham is still a very small town located in central Massachusetts. It is just North of the town of Spencer and to the West of the town of Rutland. Oakham was Incorporated in 1762. Originally it was called “Rutland West Wing.” Some of it’s first settlers are reported as coming from Oakham, England and hence took the name. Very little information is listed regarding this Maker. Several other tall clocks have been found. We have owned at least two other examples and have seen two examples sold at public auction. In addition, their are at least two on public display. One is in the collection at Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. Another example can be found in the Massachusetts Room at the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum located in our Nations Capital, Washington, DC. It seems that many of Crawford existing clocks are design in a diminutive scale.