The Howard & Davis firm was formed in Boston, Massachusetts by Edward Howard and David Potter Davis some time in 1842. This partnership lasted approximately ten years. In 1844 through 1847, Luther S. Stephenson joined the partnership which was then called Stephenson, Howard & Davis. It is now currently thought that the Howard & Davis name was not used until after Stephenson left. It is reported that both Howard and Davis served their apprenticeship in clockmaking to Aaron Willard Jr. of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Together, they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included in addition to various forms of clocks, fire pumpers, postal or balance scales, and other measuring devices. In 1856, the Howard and Davis firm dissolved yet Howard continued to use the name until 1857. It appears David Davis continued the business alone at a location on 15 Washington Street. Edward Howard formed the E. Howard Clock Company and enjoyed many prosperous years making clocks and latter watches until he retired in 1881.