Seth Thomas Lobby wall clock. This is the Lobby - 14 having a 14 inch dial and a walnut. Gallery Clock.

This is a a very difficult model to find. It is cataloged as the “14 Inch Lobby” and was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company circa 1909. This example is a timepiece and does not strike. The additional winding arbor on the dial is to wind an additional time spring. As a result, this clock will run 30-days before it needs to be wound again. Therefore, you can hang it high with the intention of winding it only twelve times a year as compared to and eight-day clock which would require 52 windings over the same period.

This fine example is cased in walnut and features a clean an consistent modern shellac finish. The color is quite good. This model traditional has veneer issues on the door. Al tough this example has experienced some lifting in its’ veneer, it has not sustained any losses. This model features a number of architectural features like a gallery top and bottom and radiants on the door surrounding the dial. The painted dial measure 14 inches in diameter. It features Arabic hour numerals, a subsidiary seconds dial and the Maker’s name. The movement is a double spring time only design. It is designed to run thirty days on a full wind. The movement is brass and features a Graham deadbeat escapement and is secured to an iron bracket which is mounted to the back of the case. The pendulum hangs from this bracket and the wooden rod supports a brass covered bob.

This clock was made circa 1909 and originally sold for $27.00. It measures approximately 30.5 inches long and 20 inches wide.

This clock is inventory number II-142.

About Seth Thomas

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.

For more information about this clock click  here .