E. Howard Clock Company. Model No. 69-10. Eight-day Marine and Locomotive clocks.

The first Howard “Marine” clocks were ordered from the factory in February of 1877. The New York Office ordered 12 marine clocks. These were designed for use in locomotives, steamships, yachts, etc. In fact for all places where a pendulum clock cannot be used on account of vibration. At that time, five case sizes where being offered in the catalog. All of which were constructed in brass and nickle plated. The smallest example was 6.25 inches in diameter and featured a 4.5 inch dial. The next size featured a case that measured 8 inches in diameter and has a 6 inch dial. The middle size was 10 inches in diameter and is fitted with an 8 inch dial. This was followed by a 12.5 inch diameter case that has a 10 inch dial. The largest example measured 15 inches in diameter and has a 12 inch dial. The movements in these clocks are of excellent quality and they are finely finish throughout. The escapements are jeweled and they have adjustable chronometer balances.

This fine example was most likely made in the 1880’s. It features a polished nickle plated case and is quite heavy. It measures 12 inches in diameter across the back and is 4.5 inches deep. The bezel is the hinged and locks closed with a key. It opens from the left allowing one to access the dial. The dial is also nickel plated and measures approximately 9 & 5/8 inches in diameter across the time ring. This dial is engraved. The time ring features large Roman style hour numerals. The five minute markers are indicated with small stars inside the closed minute ring. A small subsidiary seconds dial is positioned above the center arbor. Above this is a small hole that provides access to adjust the speed or rate of the clock. The name in the upper section is the original owner of the clock. It reads, “THE C. & G. COOPER CO. / MOUNT VERNON, OHIO.” Below the center arbor is a hole to access the winding of the clock movement. Below this is the trade mark for the retailer. This information reads, “AMERICAN / STEAMGAUGE&VALVE / MANUFG.COMPANY / BOSTON, MASS. U.S.A.” Behind the dial is the movement. This movement is mounted to the case. The nickeled plates are finely finished. The front plate is die-stamped with the maker’s name, “E. Howard & Co. / BOSTON / 1613.” The screws retain their original blueing. This is a time only example and it is designed to run eight-days on a full wind. It is powered by a coil spring.

The C. & G. Cooper & Co. was founded by Charles and Elias Cooper in 1833 in Mount Vernon, Ohio. It was originally a foundry and started manufacturing steam engines in 1836. Elias died in 1848 and Charles sold an interest in the firm to T. L. Clark. The business was reorganized as Cooper & Clark to reflect the change. In 1852, Charles’ younger brother joined the firm and again the name was changed to reflect the reorganization. By 1853 they had built their first wood burning steam locomotive. It was then called C. & J. Cooper and shortly thereafter to Cooper & Co. In 1869, Elias’ son, C. G. Cooper and his son-in-law, Col. George Rogers were made partners and the name was again changed to C. & G. Cooper. They started manufacturing Stationary Steam Engines and Sawmills beginning in 1847, Portable Steam Engines in the 1860’s and Traction Engines in 1875.

An 1874 directory lists their product line: “Steam engines, saw mills, general machinery.” It notes they had 200 employees.

In 1929, Cooper merged with the Bessemer Gas Engine Co. of Grove City, PA, to form the Cooper-Bessemer Co. and then Cooper Industries. In 1967, their headquarters were relocated to Houston, Texas. In 1989 they acquired the Cameron Iron Works of Houston. The name of the corporation continued as Cooper Industries with the Cameron acquisition operating as the Cooper Oil Tools division. In 1995, Cooper Industries spun off its Petroleum & Industrial Equipment business. This included the Cooper-Bessemer and Cameron brands (among others) into a new company named the Cooper Cameron Corporation. This has since been renamed Cameron International Corporation. Cameron sold its reciprocating compression business (which includes the Cooper-Bessemer product line, among others) to GE Oil & Gas, a division of General Electric in 2014.

JAD

About Edward Howard of Boston, Massachusetts.

The E. Howard Clock Company has an outstanding reputation for making high quality weight driven wall timepieces, standing regulators, public clocks and electro-mechanical master and watchman clocks.

The E. Howard & Company succeeded the Howard & Davis firm in 1857. The Howard and Davis firm was comprised of Edward Howard and David P. Davis and was established in 1842. Both men served their apprenticeship with Aaron Willard Jr of Boston. This firm was involved in watch and clock manufacturing since 1842. This firm also made high grade clocks, precision balances, sewing machines and fire engines. After the dissolution of Howard and Davis, Edward Howard went on to become Boston’s leading manufacture of weight driven clocks. This included residential clocks, commercial clocks and tower clocks. They also sold a large number of watchman and salve clock systems. These sold well in the late 1800’s.

It has been said that the E. Howard Clock company never made an inexpensive clock and that everything they made was of very good quality. As a result, Howard clocks have become very collectible and are prized by their owners. Today, the E. Howard clock name enjoys outstanding name recognition.

For a more in depth reading of E. Howard and his various businesses, please read “Willard’s Patent Time Pieces” written by Paul Foley.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .