Jeromes & Darrow of Bristol, Connecticut. "Transitional Shelf Clock".

This is a clean example of a transitional shelf clock made Jeromes' & Darrow of Bristol, Connecticut circa 1828 – 1833.

The firm of Jeromes' & Darrow was comprised of Chauncey Jerome, Elijah Darrow and Noble Jerome. It was located on Main Street near the Requabuck River. This firm occupied buildings on both sides of the street. Chauncey Jerome provided the cases. Noble Jerome was to provide the movements. Elijah Darrow provided the painted tablets.

Inside this mahogany case is the Clockmaker's label which reads “Improved clocks. Made and Sold by Jeromes & Darrow Bristol, Conn." This label is pasted onto the backboard does have some areas of loss. This transitional case clock stands on four feet. The front two are carved in the stylized form of animal paws. The two rear feet are turned and feature various ring patterns as decoration. Positioned on either side of the front door are half columns. These are painted black and then decorated with floral stencils. This decoration is original to this clock and is in very good original condition. The top of the case is also displays stencil work. This location is called the splat. It is supported by two capped mahogany blocks. The design located on the splat depicts a basket full of fruit and vegetables. This is a common theme for a clock of this period. The decoration is also original to the clock. The center of the case is fitted with a door that is veneered in mahogany and divided into two sections. This door does have some minor veneer repairs. The upper section retains its original glass that was puttied in place. The lower section is fitted with a reverse panted tablet. This tablet is original to this clock and is colorfully painted. It has had some very small areas of restoration which are for the most part limited to the sky. This scene has wonderful depth. The painted wooden dial is decorated with gilt designs. The time ring is formatted with Arabic numerals. The wooden geared movement is weight driven and is designed to run thirty hours on a full wind. It will also strike each hour on a cast iron bell mounted to the backboard of this clock. This clock stands approximately 28.5 inches tall, 17 inches wide and 4.75 inches deep. This clock was made circa 1830.

Inventory number 27009.

For more information about this clock click  here .