Abel Hutchins of Concord, New Hampshire. An inlaid mahogany case tall clock.
A fine inlaid mahogany case tall clock was made by Abel Hutchins of Concord, New Hampshire.
This decoratively inlaid case feature typical New England proportions. It is primarily constructed in mahogany and features nicely formatted inlays. This combination is somewhat unusual for this inland clockmaker suggesting that this case was a special order for a savvy client.
This is a very nice formal example. It stands on four flared French feet. The feet transition upwards into a drop apron that hangs below the base section. This apron is visually separated from the base panel by a decorative line inlaid banding. This banding is present on the front and two side panels. The base panel features a nicely figured crotch veneer. This large panel is framed with a line inlay pattern that is formatted with small consecutive boxes arranged in a line line pattern, a cross-banded border of mahogany and then a barber pole style string pattern. The detail is excellent. The waist is long and features a rectangular shaped waist door that is trimmed with an applied molding. This door also features a crotch veneered panel that is trimmed with inlay and cross-banding. The front corners of the waist section are fitted with reeded quarter columns that terminate in brass quarter capitals. Additional inlay patterns are displayed above and below each column. The bonnet is surmounted by a country New England style fretwork design. Three reeded chimney plinths support three brass ball and spike finials. The two bonnet columns are also reeded and flank the bonnet door. This door is arched in form and is fitted with glass. It opens to a colorfully painted dial.
This iron dial is of Boston origin and was most likely manufactured by the Nolen dial firm. Urns are depicted in each of the four spandrel areas. These are surrounded by raised gesso decorations that are highlighted in gilt paint. In the arch of this dial is a colorful bird. Additional raised gilt work can also be found in this location. The time ring features Arabic style hour numerals. Smaller Arabic numerals are used to mark each of the five minute markers. A subsidiary seconds dial is located in the traditional location. The Maker's name is signed in a large script format above the hour numeral "6". The city location of "CONCORD / N. H." is signed in a block format.
The movement is constructed in brass and is weight driven. It is designed to run eight days on a full wind and strike each hour on a cast iron bell. The striking system features a rack and snail set up. The cast iron bell is mounted above the movement. The movement is good quality.
This clocks stands approximately 7 feet 7 inches tall to the top of the center brass finial and was made circa 1810. It is inventory number 210064.
About Levi Hutchins of Concord, New Hampshire.
Levi Hutchins was born in Harvard, Massachusetts on August 17, 1761 to Gordon and Holly Hutchins. He died peacefully in Concord at the age of 93 on the 13th of June 1855. His remains were interned in the Friends’ burial-ground in Concord. This was a society he with drew from several years before his death. Levi’s brother Abel was born in March of 1763. He also died in Concord on April 4th, 1853. Both men lived into their nineties and lived long prosperous lives. I have listed some of Levi’s life’s highlights below.
Levi was old enough to be involved in the American Revolution. . In April of 1775, he served as a fifer under his fathers command and was a first hand witness of the burning of Charlestown. In September of that year, he enlisted in Captain Lewis’ Company, in Colonel Varnum’s Regiment, under General Green.
In the spring of 1776, Levi marched to New York in an effort to protect the city and was posted in Brooklyn and then later at Red Hook. Red Hook is an island located 4 miles from New York an is such situated to protect the harbor until the defeat of the Americans in the Battle of Long Island.
Levi was well educated. He attended Byfield Academy for 1 year and Andover Academy for 2 quarters. He was then recruited as a school teacher and taught in the towns of Tewksbury, Pembroke and Ashburnham, Massachusetts. ( I am always amazed at the amount of travel individuals took on in their lives during this period in our infant Nation.)
On December 6, 1777, the two brothers entered into an apprenticeship with the ingenious Simon Willard of Grafton, Massachusetts. At this time Levi was sixteen and Abel was fourteen years of age. After serving their 3 year indenture to Simon, Levi traveled to Abington, CT to serve an eight month apprenticeship in the watch repair trade. Their father had moved from Harvard to Concord in 1772 purchasing land and buildings and commenced as a storekeeper. In 1786, the two brothers move to Concord, New Hampshire and set up shop on Main Street in the central village. Their first shop was located very near the present railroad passenger depot not far from the junction of the Merrimack River and the roads from Boston, Portsmouth and the Connecticut Valley. The shop was in the back of a three story dwelling house which was jointly owned an occupied by their families.On February 23rd 1789, Levi married Phoebe Hanaford daughter of Benjamin and Ruth Hanaford of Haverhill, MA. They had ten children children together. Levi made each one of them a clock before he passed.
In 1793, Levi and Abel purchased a farm together three miles away on the western side of Rattlesnake Hill. Here they continued to manufacturer clocks and to farm. In 1807, their partnership was dissolved. Levi received the farm. Abel retained the house, shop and the parcel of land in which they were built on. (On tuesday, November 25, 1817 these building were consumed by fire. Two years later, Abel erects the Phoenix Hotel.) In 1808, Levi purchased a house on 70 acres including an apple orchard, a dilapidated fort, a large barn, woodshed and later a saw mill located on Long Pond in West Parish or West Concord Village.
After the War of 1812, about 1815, Levi built a large building and set up five looms to manufacturer cloth. The cloth business lasted three years before it became unprofitable and sold off. One room in this barn was used for clockmaking. Levi continued to work on brass clock for 20 years. The saw mill operated for 50 years.
For more information about this clock click here .