E. Howard & Co., Boston, MA. Model No. 21. "Marble Dial Clock." 8-day spring.

These clocks were designed for libraries, churches, banking rooms and other large interiors. The front of this case is a single piece of marble which measures a full 24 inches across and is approximately one half of an inch thick. The dial is decorated with a large Roman numerals and a minute ring painted in black. The five minute positions are indicated with red Arabic numerals. This is a nice detail. The Maker's name is signed on the dial in block lettering. This marble dial is mounted onto a circular shaped pine case. The outside retains its original white painted finish. The interior is finished in a natural color shellac. The large brass movement is spring driven and of very good quality. Typically these clock were constructed with weight power or secondary electric movements. The spring powered option found in this clock was a special order. It is heavily constructed and features nickeled plates die-stamp with the makers name in the upper left corner, heavy posts, a recoil escapement, external rating adjustment that is accessible through the dial and spring power which is designed to last eight days on a full wind. The coil spring fitted to this movement is encased in a brass can. The pendulum bob is zinc and is covered in brass. The brass facing retains its original ring turn design. The bob is supported by a wooden rod.

This clock was made circa 1920. It is inventory number UU-62.

This is a very unusual set up for a Howard. They made very few spring driven clocks. The vast majority of their production is typically weight driven.

The model No. 21 was offered in the catalog in a number of dial sizes. In inches, the catalog advertised mechanical operated clocks with dials measuring 24, 30 and 36 inches in diameter. With Electric motors, a 12 and an 18 inch diameter model was also offered.

About Edward Howard of Boston, Massachusetts.

The E. Howard Clock Company has an outstanding reputation for making high quality weight driven wall timepieces, standing regulators, public clocks and electro-mechanical master and watchman clocks.

The E. Howard & Company succeeded the Howard & Davis firm in 1857. The Howard and Davis firm was comprised of Edward Howard and David P. Davis and was established in 1842. Both men served their apprenticeship with Aaron Willard Jr of Boston. This firm was involved in watch and clock manufacturing since 1842. This firm also made high grade clocks, precision balances, sewing machines and fire engines. After the dissolution of Howard and Davis, Edward Howard went on to become Boston’s leading manufacture of weight driven clocks. This included residential clocks, commercial clocks and tower clocks. They also sold a large number of watchman and salve clock systems. These sold well in the late 1800’s.

It has been said that the E. Howard Clock company never made an inexpensive clock and that everything they made was of very good quality. As a result, Howard clocks have become very collectible and are prized by their owners. Today, the E. Howard clock name enjoys outstanding name recognition.

For a more in depth reading of E. Howard and his various businesses, please read Paul Foley’s book, Willard’s Patent Time Pieces.

For more information about this clock click  here .