David Wood of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Tall case clock.
This is a fine birch case tall clock retaining an older mahoganized finish. The case proportions exhibit a classic New England country form. This case stands on four bracket feet that are applied to the lower section of the base. The base molding is somewhat compressed. The waist of this clock is long and features a rectangular shaped waist door. A molded edge frames this door. Smoothly turned quarter columns flank the sides of the case. These terminate in brass quarter capitals. The bonnet features a traditional fret work form that is supported by three fluted chimneys or finial plinths. These are surmounted with brass ball and spiked finials. Please note the unusual fret work pattern. Both sides are cut in mirror form. If you look closely, you can see the form of a dog with it's tail raised incorporated in the design. The bonnet columns are turned smooth and are mounted in brass capitals. These columns flank the arched glazed door. This door opens to a nicely painted dial that is signed “David Wood Newburyport” below the calendar aperture. The four spandrel areas and the main theme of the arch are colorfully decorated with flowers. The time ring feature Roman hour numerals. Each of the five minute markers are displayed in Arabic numerals. This clock also displays seconds on a subsidiary dial. The time and strike movement is of good quality and is designed run for eight-days on a full wind. It is weight driven.
This clock was made circa 1810 and stands 7 feet 6.5 inches tall. It is inventory number II-163.
About David Wood of Newburyport, Massachusetts.
David Wood was born the son of John and Eunice Wood in Newburyport, Massachusetts on July 5, 1766. It is thought that he may have been apprenticed to either Daniel Balch Senior or one of the members of the Mulliken family. All of whom were prominent Clockmakers in this region. On June 13, 1792, David advertised that he had set up a shop in Market Square, near Reverend Andrews Meeting House, where he made and sold clocks. Three short years latter, he married Elizabeth Bird in 1795. It has become evident, that David Wood was also a Retailer. In 1806, he advertised that he had for sale “Willard’s best Patent Timepieces, for as low as can be purchased in Roxbury.” In the year 1818, he and Abel Moulton, a local silversmith, moved into the shop formerly occupied by Thomas H. Balch. In 1824 he advertised that he had moved on the westerly side of Market Square opposite the Market House. After his wife’s death in 1846, he moved to Lexington to live near is son David, who was a merchant in that town.
It has become quite obvious to us that David Wood was a very successful Clockmaker and Retailer of Clocks. Over the last 40 plus years of being in the business of selling clocks, we have sold many examples of wall, shelf, and tall case clocks bearing this Maker’s signature on the dial.
For more information about this clock click here .