John Rogers of Newton, Massachusetts. Tall case clock. -SOLD-
This is a fine cherry case clock that exhibits classic New England proportions. The finish is most likely original to the clock. It is somewhat dry and would benefit from a good hard waxing. This case proudly stands on applied bracket feet. A double stepped molding transitions the feet to the base of the clock. The waist section is fitted with a large tombstone waist door. This is fitted with an applied molding. The open fretwork style bonnet is surmounted with three ball and spiked finials. They are brass and are mounted to finial plinths which are capped. The bonnet has an arched glazed door. This door is flanked by fully turned bonnet columns. The columns terminate in brass capitals. The iron dial is colorfully painted and feature florals in the spandrel areas and in the arch. It is signed by the Clockmaker below the calendar aperture. The eight day weight driven movement is brass and of good quality.
This clock was made circa 1800. The overall height is a 7 feet 10 inches tall. It is inventory number II-73.
About John Rogers of Newton, Massachusetts.
To the best of my knowledge, it is not difinetively known when and where John Rogers was born. One source speculates that John Rogers was born on May 9, 1724 in Boston the son of Gamaliel Rogers and Mercy (Emms) Rogers. A second possibility is presented in The History of Newton which states that John Rogers was a descendant of John Rogers the martyr who was burned at the stake. This would indicate that he was a descent from Rev. Nathaniel Rogers of Ipswich, who was said to be a descendant of John the martyr. We do know that he lived in Newton Corner and died in Newton on October 19, 1815 at the age of 91. He married twice. First to Hannah Williamson of Newton on December 11, 1745. Hanna was born October 9, 1723 and died June 8, 1779. Together, they had at least eleven children. John married a second time to Mary (Craft) Towbridge on October 1, 1780. She was on born April 11, 1731. John is found listed as a blacksmith and as a clockmaker. It is currently thought that he trained asa a clockmaker under Joseph Ward. John is Described as an ingenious man and made machines. He also held various town offices, including the position of selectman. In 1780, he served as a member of a committee to recruit solders. John maintained two shops. One was located in Newton and the other was in town of Waltham. It is recorded that he was involved in a number of business dealings with the clockmaker Benjamin Willard. One of which is a law suit he file against Willard. In about 1761, he made and gifted the gallery clock to the Congregational Church in Newton which is now in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. We have owned and sold a small number of tall clocks made by this maker over the last 50 years.
For more information about this clock click here .