Howard & Davis No.1 Regulator. Wall clock.
The No. 1 Regulator is an impressive clock measuring 4 feet 2 inches long. This case is made of cherry wood and this example has been professionally refinished. The pendulum rod is made of seasoned cherry. It retains its original gilding and can be view through a clear opening in the throat tablet. The large heavy bob is zinc and is covered in brass. It has been polished smooth. The motion of this can been seen through the opening in the lower tablet. The movement is excellent quality. It is designed with a Graham Dead Beat Escapement, maintaining power, Geneva Winding Stop and a double suspension spring. As a result, these clocks vary only seconds a month and are excellent time keepers. The paper dial on this example and is original to this clock. It does have some areas of loss. It measures 12 inches in diameter and features a Roman numeral formatted time ring, subsidiary seconds dial and the Makers name and working location. Both glasses have been professionally repainted in the appropriate colors of black and gold. This wall hanging timepiece was made circa 1845.
The U. S. Lighthouse Service is known to have purchased a number of clocks from Howard & Davis, E. Howard & Company, Chelsea CLock Company and the Seth Thomas Clock Company in order to install in their buildings. A small number of those clocks were fitted with tablets that looked like the example reproduced here.
About Howard & Davis of Boston, Massachusetts.
The Howard & Davis firm was formed in Boston, Massachusetts by Edward Howard and David Potter Davis some time in 1842. This partnership lasted approximately ten years. In 1844 through 1847, Luther S. Stephenson joined the partnership which was then called Stephenson, Howard & Davis. It is now currently thought that the Howard & Davis name was not used until after Stephenson left. It is reported that both Howard and Davis served their apprenticeship in clockmaking to Aaron Willard Jr. of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Together, they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included in addition to various forms of clocks, fire pumpers, postal or balance scales, and other measuring devices. In 1856, the Howard and Davis firm dissolved yet Howard continued to use the name until 1857. It appears David Davis continued the business alone at a location on 15 Washington Street. Edward Howard formed the E. Howard Clock Company and enjoyed many prosperous years making clocks and latter watches until he retired in 1881.
For more information about this clock click here .