Seth Thomas Regulator No. 2.
This is a very popular clock. This model was arguably first made in the 1860s. This fine example was made sometime around 1890 and was marketed as a small regulator for use in Railroads, Schools, Fire Departments, Offices, etc.
This case is constructed in oak and is finished in an antique oak coloring. The color is excellent. The weight driven movement is good quality. It features well finished rectangular shaped plates, a Graham deadbeat escapement, and maintaining power. It is designed to beat eighty times per each minute. The front pallet is die stamped with the Maker's trademark. The movement is secured to a large iron mounting bracket which is attached to the backboard. This mounting bracket also supports the pendulum. The pendulum is constructed with a wood rod and a brass covered zinc bob. This clock is designed run for eight-days on a full wind. The dial is painted on tin and measures 12 inches across. This is the clocks original dial and as a result, it has some minor areas of wear. The lower door is fitted with glass. Through this one can view the side to side motion of the brass pendulum bob and the dissension of the weight over a weeks time.
This fine example measures approximately 36.5 inches long overall. It was made circa 1890.
About Seth Thomas
Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.
In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.
For more information about this clock click here .