Seth Thomas 12 Inch Drop Octagon. Rosewood case. A very nice graduation gift.
This "Drop Octagon Twelve Inch" was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company of Thomaston, Connecticut. It is dated on the Backboard with the Seth Thomas code. It indicates that it was made in January of 1880. These clocks a commonly called "School House" clocks because they were often used in school rooms across this country. The Seth Thomas version of this clock is, in my opinion, the model by which all others are judged.
This is a special example. The case is veneered in rosewood and retains an older finish. Rosewood examples do not appear in the marketplace very often. The vast majority of the school clocks seen today are constructed in oak. The fact that this example is rosewood would imply that it was made for a residential setting or perhaps an office. The time only movement is brass construction and is die stamped by the Maker on the front plate. It is spring wound and designed run eight days on a full wind. This example is also fitted with a Geneva stop winding mechanism which prevents the operator from over winding the clock. These clocks are typically very good runners. The pendulum bob is brass and can be viewed through the glass door in the front of the case. The dial is painted on tin and features Roman style hour numerals and a closed minute track. The manufacture's is located on this dial.
This example, inventory number 212123, measures approximately measures 23.5 inches long. This is a very good example. It would make a very nice graduation gift.
About Seth Thomas
Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.
In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.
For more information about this clock click here .