Walter Crighton of Haddington, Scotland.
This is a nicely figured mahogany long case clock with brass engraved silvered dial signed “Walter Crighton Haddington.” Walter Crighton is listed in Donald Whyte's book, Watchmakers & Clockmakers Scotland. Whyte lists him as a Clock and Watchmaker in Nungate, Haddington, East Lothian about 1810. Haddington is a small town located approximately 15 miles to the east of the capital city Edinburgh.
This is a wonderful example. It is a manageable size and exhibits good proportions and richly grained mahogany wood selections throughout it's construction. It has been appropriately refinished in a deep brown color. This case stands on four applied ogee bracket feet. The base features an applied molding that froms a decorative frame. The waist section is fitted with a simply shaped door. The sides of the waist are are canted. This canted area terminates in a lamb's tongue molding. The hood or arched bonnet features a variation of a whale's tails fret work pattern This is supported by three fluted finial plinth. Brass ball and spike finials are mounted on top of the plinths. The hood door is arched and fitted with glass. This bonnet features canted molding where one might expect to see bonnet columns. This is a nice variation of the typical bonnet design. These flank the arched and glazed bonnet door. This door is hinged and opens to access the engraved silvered brass dial.
The dial is brass and features an engraved chapter ring, seconds ring and central boss. All of which have been silvered. These decorative accents are wonderfully made. The center of this dial is skillfully engraved with decorative scroll work. This clock is signed by the Maker in this center section of the dial along with his working location.
The weight driven movement is constructed in brass and is designed to run eight-days on a full wind. It will also strike each hour on a bell which is mounted above the movement. Overall, it is good quality.
This clock stands approximately 7 feet 4.5 inches tall to the top of the center finial. It was made circa 1800.
For more information about this clock click here .