Seth Thomas Regulator No. 10. -SOLD-
This very impressive clock is called the "Regulator No. 10." It listed in the 1884 through the 1904 Seth Thomas Clock Catalog. This case clock hangs a full 72 inches long. Today, it is considered by many collectors to be Seth Thomas' most desirable model.
This example is constructed in walnut wood and features richly grained burl walnut veneers on all of the raised panels incorporated in the design of this case. The top of the case is surmounted with a decorative pediment. This masculine form closely resembles the outside walls of a frontier fortification used in the early 1800's. Below this is a box that protects the movement and dial. The front panel is actually a door that incorporates a circular aperture which is centered in this location. This circular aperture is framed with a turned molding or bezel. This opening is fitted with glass that is secured by a nickel trim ring. It is through this glass that one views the dial. Large oval windows are incorporated in the sides of the case. Through these, one can view the clock's mechanism. The long narrow section below the dial provides protection for the weight and pendulum. The transition is nicely defined by the additional use of the interesting molding format found at the top of the case. Much of this long section is fitted with large glass panels. The two located on the sides of this case allow additional light to access the interior of the case. The glass panel located in the front of the case is fitted into a large door frame. This opens to allow one access to the clock's pendulum and weight. The viewer will also be able to see the wonderful burl walnut panel that is mounted inside the case and makes up the backboard. The framing for this door is decoratively formatted. Fully turned columns are mounted to the sides of the case. These help tie together the case design. The lower section of the case is trimmed with a similar molding that surmounts the top of the case. It is constructed in such a manner as to add a dimension of depth to the case design.
This heavy brass made dial measures 14 inches in diameter. It has been silvered and is trimmed with a nickeled ring. The silvering is in excellent condition. The engraved time ring is displayed in a Roman numeral format. The Maker's name and trademark are also engraved in this location. Three steel hands are mounted to the center arbor. This clock features a sweep second hand. Both the sweep second hand and the minute hand are counter weighted.
The movement in this Model No. 10 is among the finest that Seth Thomas produced. The large brass plates are in the shape of a trapezoid. The plates have been nickeled and polished to a high luster. The latter movements are not usual finished in this manner. The plates are supported by four robust brass posts. These are attached to the plates with large screws that are have been blued. The back plate is die stamped with the Maker's trademark. The date of "April 10th, 1882" is also included as well as the "No. 66." The steel pinions are finely cut. The escapement is a Graham dead beat format and the pallets are jeweled. This clock is also fitted with maintaining power. The verge is fitted with a beat adjustment. The movement is mounted to an iron bracket which is secured to the backboard. It is powered by a cylindrical weight that is nickeled and hangs from a decorative pulley. This clock is designed to run eight days on a full wind.The pendulum is also hung from the iron bracket. The rod is steel and supports a decorative mercury filled jar. The jar is cut glass in a thumb print design. The superstructure that supports the jar is adjustable. The fine finished point located at the bottom of the rod swings in front of a decorative beat scale. This beat scale is mounted to the back of the case. It is brass and has also been silvered. The scale is engrave into the metal.
This fine clock was made in 1882 and is a full 72 inches in length. It is an impressive piece.
About Seth Thomas
Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.
In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.
For more information about this clock click here .