E. Howard & Co. Clock. Model No. 89 Regulator. -SOLD-
The construction of this case oak is designed to compensate for expansion and contraction as a result changes of humidity and temperature. This very model was specially designed for railroad use.
Ten examples were tested in August of 1889. The regulators tested were furnished to the Buffalo, B. & S. W., the Niagara Falls division of the New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroads. These ten clocks had an average variation from the mean of only 8.9 seconds over the period of one months time. The greatest variation was measured at 24 seconds. Other clocks performed even better. A clock located in the Wabash Station in Moberly, Missouri ran 18 days right on time and 30 days with a three second variation. A clock at the Union Depot in Cleveland, Ohio ran 16 weeks with an extreme variation of only 3 seconds in any one week. As a result, it has developed a reputation of being a very sound time keeper.
This is an excellent example which features a classic finish. The case is constructed in oak and displays a number of decorative details including the long reeded moldings and turned finials. The large door, located on the front of the case, is fitted with a large piece of clear glass. This glass retains the original advertisement of “STANDARD TIME” which is written across the middle in stylized lettering. Through this door, one can view the painted dial which is signed by the Maker in block lettering. The painted zinc dial is measures 12 inches in diameter and is original to this clock. It features Roman hour numerals and a subsidiary seconds dial. This dial is trimmed with an oak bezel or ring and mounts directly to the movement via four posts. The pendulum rod is made of seasoned cherry and at one time was gilded. This rod supports the large brass covered bob that is filled with zinc for compensation. The brass is decorated with an engine turned design. The weight driven movement is very good quality. It is framed with two large brass rectangular shaped plates. The front plate is die-stamped by the maker in the upper left hand corner. The movement, photographed before servicing, is designed to run for eight days on a single wind. It features a Graham Dead Beat Escapement and maintaining power. The movement is wound with a crank key. A Geneva Stop prevents one from over winding this clock. The weight falls directly below the movement. It is hidden from view by the wooden channel constructed inside the case.
This is a large and impressive looking clock. The case measures 65 inches long by 19 inches wide and 8 inches deep. The interior of the case is die stamped with the manufacture date of “5 * 1891” or May 1891.
About Edward Howard of Boston, Massachusetts.
The E. Howard Clock Company has an outstanding reputation for making high quality weight driven wall timepieces, standing regulators, public clocks and electro-mechanical master and watchman clocks.
Edward Howard was born in Hingham, Massachusetts on October 6, 1813 and died in Dorchester, Massachusetts on March 4, 1904. He began his clock making career serving an apprenticeship with Aaron Willard Junior of Boston and then worked for Henry Plympton, a balance maker in Boston. Soon, in 1847, he formed a partnership with another Aaron Willard Jr. apprentice David P. Davis. Together, under the firm name Howard & Davis, they began to make fine wall clocks, regulators, scales and balances. Soon they took on Luther S. Stephenson and the Henry Hinckley and others. Their interests in business expanded or evolved into the manufacture of tower clocks, sewing machines, fire engines, watches and bicycles. Davis left the firm and Howard continued with his clock interests. The e. Howard Clock Company grew and continued in various forms. It continued to build on it’s international reputation for making high quality items. He eventually retired in 1882.
For a more in depth reading of E. Howard and his various businesses, please read Paul Foley’s book, Willard’s Patent Time Pieces.
For more information about this clock click here .