Riggs Brothers Philadelphia No., 1 style "Regulator."

This very impressive wall timepiece is obviously modeled after the very successful E. Howard Model Number 1 Regulator. This clock is very similar in terms of its overall appearance, case construction and movement formatting. These large regulators were originally marketed to watchmakers and were advertised as being, "Well adapted for banks, insurance offices and large rooms."

Traditionally, the cases are constructed in cherry and are grained with india ink to simulate the rich grain pattern found in rosewood. This is true of this example. The grain pattern exhibited here is very good. The frames are fitted with reverse painted tablets or glasses. These have been repainted in the traditional E. Howard & Company color combinations of black, gold and red. Both of the tablets feature openings in their centers so that one can view the motion of the pendulum. The weight driven movement is constructed in brass and is excellent quality. It is designed to run eight days on a full winding. It features a Graham Dead Beat Escapement, a Geneva Stop winding mechanism and maintaining power. The original weight is cast in iron. The name "Riggs" and the city location "Philad" are clearly die-stamped into the front plate. The 12 inch enamelled dial is iron and Bears the name "E. Bailey." This might have been the name of the firm or owner of the business in which this clock originally hung in Philadelphia. This model features a seconds bit on the dial. The lead bob is covered in brass. It is supported by the original wooden rod which retains a the majority of its original gilding.

This attractive clock was made circa 1880. It is considered a very accurate time keeper.

The Riggs Brothers Company was a retail establishment that was located at 310 Market Street in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This company was formed in 1818 by William H. C. Riggs. They were engaged in selling navigating instruments, clocks, watches, jewelry, silverware, etc. This business closed its doors in 1931.

For more information about this clock click  here .