David Wood of Newburyport, Massachusetts. A cross-banded mahogany case tall clock.

David wood is a profilific maker of clocks. It appears that he may have the largests producer of tall clocks working North of Boston. Interestingly, he did not develop a standardized case style that we associate with him as a maker. His clocks vary greatly in case form from one example to the next. You will find his name on country examples as well as formal examples such as this one.

This is a very attractive cross-banded mahogany tall case clock. The case features exceptional figured mahogany veneers. These panels are framed with a cross-banded borders. The painted dial is signed David Wood / Newbury Port. This clock was made circa 1810.

This is a formal example. A number of woods were used in the construction of this case. They include mahogany, figured mahogany veneers, rosewood cross-banding, holly inlays, bird’s-eye maple decorative panels and New England white pine is used as a secondary wood. This case has been professionally refinished in an appropriate manner. As a result, the vibrant grain formatting exhibited in the wood is easy to view and attracts ones attention. This case is raised up off the floor on four applied French style feet. These are tall, slightly flared at the bottom and delicately formed. They are visually joined together with a nicely shaped drop apron. The feet are separarted from the base by a complex inlay pattern. This deign uses several patterns to make up the decorative banding. This banding continues to the back edge of both sides of the case. The base panel and the rectangular shaped waist door feature the same construction. The figured mahogany veneers centered in this location are first framed in a light line border. A cross-banded frame is laid out around the perimeter. The waist door is trimmed with an applied molding along the outer edge. This door opens to access the interior of the case. The front corners of the waist section are fitted with finely reeded quarter columns. These terminate in brass quarter capitals. Bird’s-eye maple panels are positioned at both ends of the quarter columns. The bonnet features a traditional version of a New England style fret-work pattern. Three reeded chimneys or finial plinths are mounted at the top of the case and support this fretwork. Each plinth supports a brass finial. The molded arch is supported by two finely reeded bonnet or hood columns. These flank the arched bonnet door and are mounted in brass capitals. Reeded quarter columns are located in the back corners of the hood. The sides are fitted with large tombstone shaped side lights or windows. These are glazed. The line inlaid hood door is also fitted with glass and opens to access the painted dial. Please note the intracite inlay pattern used in this frame.

This iron dial is colorfully painted. The four spandrel areas are paint decorated with colorful floral patterns. A bird is depicted in the lunette. The time track is formatted with the combination of Roman and Arabic numerals. This dial also features five minute markers, a subsidiary seconds dial and a day of the month calendar.

The time and strike movement is of good quality. It is constructed in brass and features steel pinions. It is weight driven and designed to run for eight-days on a full wind and to strike each hour on a cast iron bell.

This clock stands approximately 89.5 inches tall. The upper bonnet molding measures 20.5 inches across and runs 10.25 deep.

This clock is inventory number ZZ-54.

About David Wood of Newburyport, Massachusetts.

David Wood was born the son of John and Eunice Wood in Newburyport, Massachusetts on July 5, 1766. It is thought that he may have been apprenticed to either Daniel Balch Senior or one of the members of the Mulliken family. All of whom were prominent Clockmakers in this region. On June 13, 1792, David advertised that he had set up a shop in Market Square, near Reverend Andrews Meeting House, where he made and sold clocks. Three short years latter, he married Elizabeth Bird in 1795. It has become evident, that David Wood was also a Retailer. In 1806, he advertised that he had for sale “Willard’s best Patent Timepieces, for as low as can be purchased in Roxbury.” In the year 1818, he and Abel Moulton, a local silversmith, moved into the shop formerly occupied by Thomas H. Balch. In 1824 he advertised that he had moved on the westerly side of Market Square opposite the Market House. After his wife’s death in 1846, he moved to Lexington to live near is son David, who was a merchant in that town.

It has become quite obvious to us that David Wood was a very successful Clockmaker and Retailer of Clocks. Over the last 40 plus years of being in the business of selling clocks, we have sold many examples of wall, shelf, and tall case clocks bearing this Maker’s signature on the dial.

For more information about this clock click  here .