E. Howard & Company of Boston, Massachusetts. Model No. 61 Floor Standing Regulator Clock.

This very impressive floor standing regulator was made by the E. Howard & Company of Boston, Massachusetts. This clock is cataloged as the Model Number 61. It was originally offered in three choices of wood. They are oak, walnut or cherry. This example is constructed in black walnut and burled walnut veneered panels. The woodwork retains an older surface.

This fine example. Like most big Howard regulators, this is not an easy model to locate. As a general rule very few large Howard clocks come onto the public marketplace. This model in the 1880’s, would have sold for approximately $250. In comparison, the E. Howard model No. 5 banjo sold for $20.

This Model 61 case is constructed in black walnut and features outstanding figured panels. These panels are veneered in burled walnut. The case dimensions are as follows: 93.5 inches tall, 30.5 inches wide and 13 inches deep. This case is die-stamped into the top of the case with the Numeral “25.” The painted zinc dial measures 14.5 inches in diameter. It is original to this clock. It feature the Maker’s name in block lettering. It reads, E. Howard & Co. / Boston.” A closed minute track frames the large Roman style hour numerals. Steel hands that feature open diamonds display the time. A subsidiary seconds hand is positioned below the the Roman hour numeral XII. The heavily brass constructed eight day weight powered movement, measures approximately 9.5 inches tall, 6.5 inches wide and 2.25 inches deep. This plates retain their original decorative scraping design. This movement features a Graham dead beat escapement, maintaining power and a full Geneva Stop winding mechanism. The front plate is die-stamped “E. Howard & Co. Boston.” The brass and steel pendulum with rating nut and 4 jar mercury pendulum bob is numbered “319” and “3481.” At the top of the crutch, one will find the fine beat adjustment device. The this example retains the correct brass pulley with a five spoke wheel and winding key.

According to the E. Howard clock records. This clock was originally ordered by the Boston Office on May 24th, 1886 and set up five days later on May 29th at 104 Broadway Street in Boston. It was originally sent with a velvet backed plate that was engraved, “Presented to William P. Carrol, May 1886.” William P. Carrol, (1854 -1888) was an active South Boston politician, he served wards 7 and 13. He represented the fourth Congressional District at the 1884 Nation Convention. He was a member of the Governor’s advisory’s board. He served on the Board of Alderman in 6th District of the City of Boston in 1886, 1887 and 1888. Alderman Carroll at died at his home on 134 West Third Street in South Boston on 28 January 1888 of consumption. In his obituary, he is described as a “strong man of brain and heart.”

This regulator soon found its way into the Home office of the New England Mutual Life Insurance Company in Boston. Their headquarters at the time was located at 87 Milk Street. The clock was positioned in the lobby of the building where it could be easily seen from the street. In 1941, the company moved to a larger building which they had built at 501 Boylston Street. The Milk Street building was sold and slated for demolition. This included this clock. The grandfather of the last owner walked by this clock everyday to and from his work. He admired it and used it to set the time of his own watch and then the clocks at his home. He became aware of the demolition of the building on Milk Street and contacted the new owners of the building. He made arrangements for the purchase and removal of his ‘old friend’ from the now darkened lobby. The clock was soon set it up in his home. For the next two decades, the famous (and infamous) clockmaker Elmer O. Stennis, of Weymouth, Massachusetts routinely serviced this clock. In doing so, he applied his signed labels to the inside of the case. Many of these remain to this day. The clock was passed down to his son and then eventually his grandson. The grandson had carefully stored his grandfather’s prized possesion in his basement in the suburbs of Boston until we recently set it up in our showroom in West Townsend.

About Edward Howard of Boston, Massachusetts.

The E. Howard Clock Company has an outstanding reputation for making high quality weight driven wall timepieces, standing regulators, public clocks and electro-mechanical master and watchman clocks.

The E. Howard & Company succeeded the Howard & Davis firm in 1857. The Howard and Davis firm was comprised of Edward Howard and David P. Davis and was established in 1842. Both men served their apprenticeship with Aaron Willard Jr of Boston. This firm was involved in watch and clock manufacturing since 1842. This firm also made high grade clocks, precision balances, sewing machines and fire engines. After the dissolution of Howard and Davis, Edward Howard went on to become Boston’s leading manufacture of weight driven clocks. This included residential clocks, commercial clocks and tower clocks. They also sold a large number of watchman and salve clock systems. These sold well in the late 1800’s.

It has been said that the E. Howard Clock company never made an inexpensive clock and that everything they made was of very good quality. As a result, Howard clocks have become very collectible and are prized by their owners. Today, the E. Howard clock name enjoys outstanding name recognition.

For a more in depth reading of E. Howard and his various businesses, please read “Willard’s Patent Time Pieces” written by Paul Foley.

For more information about this clock click  here .