Samuel Hickcox Pillar & Scroll Clock made in Humphreysville, Conn. One of the last P&S clocks.

Examples of Samuel Hickcox’s do not come to the market regularly. He is listed as working in Humphreysville, Connecticut in 1833-1840 and then again in Seymour, Connecticut in 1857. The Town of Seymour was incorporated in 1850 and took over the village of Humpferysville and also parts of Derby.

Humpferysville was named after David Humpfery. The Town of Seymour, has written a brief description of David. Most of which I have included here.

General David Humphreys became an important figure in Seymour history from the Revolutionary War period. David Humphreys was born in Derby in 1752. During the war, he joined the Continental Army and became an aide-de-camp to General George Washington. Following the war, Humphreys and Washington remained close friends. When Washington became the U.S. President, he appointed Humphreys as the nation’s first ambassador, then called a foreign minister, to Spain and Portugal. While Humphreys was there, he discovered the Merino breed of sheep. The Merino sheep had dark wool when spun and gave a superior quality cloth. In 1802, Humphreys shipped the first Merino sheep to the U.S. and upon arrival at the Port of Derby, they were taken to graze on the hillsides of Chusetown.
Humphreys had always been interested in manufacturing and during his visits to England and France, studied their industrial systems carefully. In 1803, he purchased a large piece of property located at the falls on the Naugatuck River near many other little mills.  Here he built one of the finest woolen mills in the country.
In 1804, the name of the area was changed from Chusetown to Humphreysville, in honor of the General. The village of Humphreysville prospered and attracted other manufacturing concerns.  Items such as cotton cloth, paper, furniture and tools such as augers and bits were now produced here.

Churches moved their congregations from meeting houses into larger structures, more one-room schoolhouses were built and, in 1849, not only did the railroad enter into the village, but the Humphreysville Academy, the area’s first opportunity for higher education opened.
In 1850, Humphreysville was still a part of Derby, but people in this bustling and prosperous village felt a need to establish their own community. Leman Chatfield, who unofficially spoke for the people of the village, and several other Humphreysville residents journeyed to Hartford to petition for separation. Although it is not clear why, the people’s petition requested that the town be named “Richmond.” A bill was written carrying that name. However, it was said that if the name of the town were changed from Richmond to something honoring the Governor of Connecticut, the bill would meet immediate acceptance. Consequently, the people chose to honor Governor Thomas H. Seymour, and the petition changed the town’s name. Seymour officially became incorporated as a town in the state of Connecticut during the May 1850 session of the General Assembly.

This fine example is good condition. The case is mahogany and is decoratively trimmed with tiger maple accents. These can be found under each brass finial and along the door frame. The contrasts between the darker mahogany and the lighter maple is eye-catching. The feet, scroll work, horns and returns are all original to this clock. The front of the clock is fitted with a door. The lower section is decorated with a reverse painted tablet. This glass has been fully restored and is in excellent condition. The colors are excellent and the scene is reminiscent of those found in clocks of this form. The upper section of the door is fitted with clear glass. Through this one can view the wooden dial which measure 11 inches across. This is decorated with painted floral details and gilt work. This clock is fitted with a wooden geared weight driven movement that is designed to run thirty hours on a full wind. It also features a strike train so it will strike the appropriate hour on a bell mounted inside the case. The Clockmaker’s label is pasted inside the case on the backboard. It reads, (CLOCKS, / MADE AND SOLD BY / SAMUEL HICKCOX, / HUMPHREYSVILLE, Conn. / WATTANTED IF WELL USED.) This label was printed by Whitimore & Buckingham, Printers, New Haven.

This clock has the following approximate dimensions: 31 inches high, 16.75 inches wide and 4.5 inches deep.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .